A Tale of 2 workplaces...
It was the best of time, it was the worst of times. Though mostly the worst of times. I currently hold 2 very different jobs in the same area. My first job, one of my first "real" jobs is at a performing arts center, where the rules are strict. Now you would think this would be the "fun" job right? And it is a pretty nice gig. I mean there are totally worse ways to get paid other than standing outside doors waiting for people to come out with problems. But its strict in that you have to appear uber professional. Like the uniform must be pristine, your language is watched, everyone is watching. Also we have alot of volunteers, and you have to be polite and codial to them and the partons. You aren't allowed to sit most of the time, breaks are only when someone can relieve your spot (so heaven forbid you have an issue and need the restroom), and no food is allowed in. My boss actually wants us to leave everything in the car except for our keys.
Now the people there are great, and I really get along with them well, but most of the time we never interact with each other outside of work. The occasional after work drink/snack or a meet-up here or there but not so much that I would consider them friends to hang out with on a sunday evening.
Now the other work is data entry with a home health agency. Here is the standard 9-5 M-F type job, though I do get to make my own hours which is awesome. Considering I was hired in as a temporary worker while they found permanent replacements for the people who left, and I'm still here a year and a half later. But its money. I can come in when I like, and pretty much leave when I want as long as it's within business hours. The people are nice, always bringing in food to share and making sure you eat. Lots of meetings with food that also goes out to everyone (not only the people in the meeting). I don't make as much here as at the theater, but I can make up for it in hours. But its not really what I want to do, I just do it 'cause I'm good at it. Again people here are super nice, but I'm not really close to anyone. I only really talk to my aunt because she is the boss and we share the seperate office space. I get kicked around from place to place here but like I said, its money, and esp. since the theater is getting less and less hours, this helps.
I don't know where I was going with this, just trying to wake up my brain 'cause I'm pretty tired right now.

1 Comments:
Hello,Rainicorn!!
Post a Comment
<< Home