Thursday, October 09, 2003

A Rose by any other name...

Ever notice the nicknames you have with your friends?
I mean, in the 21+ years of my life, I have acquired so many nicknames from so
many different people it's hard to keep track.
But there are certain names that begin to stick to you. I mean like family
nicknames or stuff amongst your closest friends.

have you ever felt almost sorrowful when your friend
suddenly calls you by your real name?
I mean its nothing bad right, they are just saying your real name.
But suddenly I feel its almost as if I didn't mean that much to them anymore.
I never thought about this before, until I was in high school and my bf rick
called me Sam instead of the tradition 'Akane' (from Ranma 1/2).
It didn't bother me at first
other than the fact that I did not recognize my own name coming from his
voice, but he freaked out like he did something horrible.
was it horrible? no, but it became a running joke.

But I was thinking about it alot lately. I am "mantha" to my family.
"boo" or "monkey" or whatever christina decides to call me that day,
but mainly sam to everyone else. But to hear your name called,
even though it is your real name, by someone who normally doesn't call you that..

I guess, it's just unnerving.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home